Saturday, January 6, 2007

The Sky is Falling, So Give Me Money

The Real Green in Global Warming, Greenpeace, and Salad for your Dog


Green is good.



Say It Aint So


I'm going to reveal a dirty little secret in today's post that might help explain for some of you why special interest groups, political activists, and other crusaders might lie or at least exaggerate the facts. I'm speaking of all kinds of organizations, left wing and right wing, from Greenpeace to MoveOn.org to PETA to the Minutemen. I'm also speaking of left and right wing newspapers and other print and electronic media.

Raising Money for Chappaquiddick
Ted and Hanoi Jane


A long time ago, in a universe far far away, in 1988, I was a fundraiser for Tom Hayden, the radical progressive politician ex-husband of Jane Fonda. (by the way, I also ran Ted Kennedy's Israeli operation to gather votes of Americans overseas for his 1980 primary run for the presidency. I was apolitical at the time, just doing my duty for the Kennedy family, who I thought were all JFK's.) I turned out to be the top fundraiser for Tom and Jane (they were married still when I worked for their organization) .

Can You Give Twenty Dollars to Help Fight AIDS?


The thing that I want to reveal is that each day we had a meeting, before we went out to raise funds door-to-door. We were given literature and a topic on which to raise money for the day. At that time, one of the big tear-jerkers (and deservedly so) we were pushing was A.I.D.S. We had brochures and talking points all about the subject and this was what we would be raising money for on that day. We'd ask people to give money to help fight A.I.D.S., work for political change on A.I.D.S. and so on. As I say, I raised more money than anyone else in the organization, even though I was apolitical at the time.

The dirty little secret is that each day's funds that we collected always went into the organization. The money we were raising that day, supposedly to fight A.I.D.S., went instead into the same pot as the money we raised the day before to help save the water around Santa Monica Pier. I can't say that this was entirely a fraud, as Hayden and Fonda did actually push for A.I.D.S. legislation etc. and to clean up the Santa Monica Pier water, but the monies we collected on those days did not go into any fund for specific purposes. Rather, it went into the campaign coffers of Hayden and Fonda.






I'm not revealing this to besmirch Hayden and Fonda. All the politicians do this. I am making the point, though, that people use causes to raise money. The best way for them to raise this money is to scare you. They must hammer one-sided presentations about everything, from global-warming to homelessness, to get you to part with your dough.


Dogs Are People Too


This goes double for any activist group. PETA will exaggerate the harm being done to animals, and make dogs the equivalent of people. Greenpeace will demonize industry. MoveOn.org will demonize conservatives. The Minutemen. will emphasize the negatives about illegal immigration.

I knew a PETA guy once who was also a vegetarian. He forced his poor chocolate Labrador to be a vegetarian too. The dog was skin and bones, and salivated uncontrollably whenever it was around meat, looking longingly at it. His "dog-loving" master would instead give it a vegetable pellet, which the dog would ignore. I almost became PETA-like myself when I interacted with that dog. It used to gaze at me so soulfully that I thought I could hear it say, "Meat! Please, give me some meat!" Then, this PETA guy would go out and raise money, complaining about the abuse of animals.


click to show/hide the rest of the post


Show Me the Money


The same goes for one-sided political pundits. Keith Olberman makes money by bashing Republicans, as does Media Matters. Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Michael Savage get their dollars by lambasting liberals.

Follow the money. Not everything said by these sources is false or exaggerated, but at least know from whence they get earn their livelihoods.


Be Discerning


As consumers, it might still be important that we fight A.I.D.S. and clean up the waters at the Santa Monica Pier. Just realize that the pitch you will hear about these things is going to be jacked up a notch to get you interested; plus, the spiel you are hearing might not be for the cause mentioned—it might be about the candidate, not the cause. In some cases, the exaggerations do no harm, as when speaking about the homeless. As long as the money you give really does go to help the homeless, you can't go wrong.

Iffy Scare Tactics


Global warming, though, and other fundraising topics, are not that clear cut. See my recent post, An Inconvenient Truth, about the global warming hysteria, founded on a one-sided presentation of the facts. The hype does have economic consequences. It influences people's decisions about what cars to buy and the development of alternative fuel sources and so on.

click to hide most of this post


Most activists, on either side, are not entirely honest; and some of them are not even role models of decency.

To quote the godmother of the entire modern environmental movement:

I would rather save the life of one bird than the lives of a million human beings. Screw the malaria-ridden Africans! – Rachel Carson

Wow! The things we were allowed to say back in the day!

With global warming, it's good to go green, as I've said. It's not good, though, to get hysterical about it. If anyone comes to your door claiming to raise money to fight global warming, you have the right to remain silent, and keep your hands in your pockets. You have the right to say, "Show me the science!" and "Show me how you're gonna' stop it!"

Tomorrow's post will be about the positive effects of global warming.


Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)


Click here to get a button link to this blog:


Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site!


Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Regular Technorati Tags for this blog: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


5 comments:

  1. Say it ain’t so.................. Mr Rock, I hole you in the highest of esteem, and I realize in our youth we did stupid things (I voted for Carter twice), but I am not sure about the revelations of today’s post. I know, from your past writings, that you were raised in the Catholic Church. I suppose you have discussed your past with a Priest. I am not sure yours is a sin that can be absolved, I do understand the JFK thing but Hanoi Jane, son that is a mortal sin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock, I don't think I like this- two factual posts in a row that I can't argue against! What's happening to you?

    Pre-post commentary:

    Global warming is a good thing? I don't know about that. Well then again, I can't completely argue with that because global warming has been very good to my wallet this winter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say it ain’t so.................. Mr Rock, I hole you in the highest of esteem, and I realize in our youth we did stupid things (I voted for Carter twice), but I am not sure about the revelations of today’s post. I know, from your past writings, that you were raised in the Catholic Church. I suppose you have discussed your past with a Priest. I am not sure yours is a sin that can be absolved, I do understand the JFK thing but Hanoi Jane, son that is a mortal sin.

    Yeah, Charlie, you're probably right. I was apolitical after returning from Israel until I got turned on to Rush Limbaugh. Then, I got educated. I was never a ditto-head entirely, but he did make a lot of sense. He was revolutionary at the beginning, as he was the only one challenging the liberal media.

    I believe I've come a long way from those days. Now I see things in proper perspective. I know Fonda and Hayden meant to do good in the world, but they made the mistake of hubris, thinking they knew better than a lot of good people. What Jane did in Vietnam was abominable, and I understand why people might never forgive her.

    Working for her, though, did give me some direct insights, which I can use to good advantage today.

    Thanks for your comments, Charlie.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  4. paz, thanks. You said:

    Rock, I don't think I like this- two factual posts in a row that I can't argue against! What's happening to you?

    Well, this gives me hope for you too. I know you say you aren't exactly a liberal, but I am always surprised when people "on the other side" turn out to be reasonable.

    Unfortunately, you may discover one day that, though we are on different sides, both of us are open to the truth.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete