Saturday, January 13, 2007

Making America Love Soccer is like Making Iraq Love Peace


Bend it like
eckham.


Soccer and the War in Iraq


I was listening yesterday to one of my favorite conservative radio talk show hosts, Al Rantel, who is gay by the way, on KFI in Los Angeles. He discussed a parallel between the signing of David Beckham for the Los Angeles Galaxy soccer team, with a 250 million dollar contract, and the war in Iraq. Al's point was that people in the U.S. are getting all excited about Beckham coming here and being able to "bend" things (Bend It Like Beckham) enough to make soccer a major sport in America. Al was scoffing at this, saying that soccer will never be big here. Trying to remake America into a soccer-loving country will never happen.

Making a Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear


He declared the same kind of thing can be said about Iraq. We, the United States, are trying to remake the Iraqis into behaving civilly, and this too will never happen. They've been butchering themselves for centuries, and the only thing that has ever brought "tranquility" there has been brutal dictators like Saddam Hussein who were more brutish than the populace.




Saddam was able to terrorize the barbarians of Iraq into a relatively peaceful existence. Al was apologetic for having to say such a thing about a people, but he explained we had to face reality. Instead of taking advantage of the opportunity for peace there, the Shias and Sunnis are drilling holes in each other's heads, chopping off arms, and putting out eyes. It is truly barbaric.


Super Bowl versus the World Cup


Al has a point on both issues. America loves football, basketball, and baseball. Nothing tops the Super Bowl, the NBA playoffs, and the World Series.

America does not love soccer, and despite the influx of all those illegals, soccer remains and will remain a second-tier sport here, forever. More people will buy tickets to see the Galaxy for a while, but that interest will peter out quickly. Not many people will be watching the World Cup.


The only time America got excited about soccer was when our sexy girls won the FIFA Women's World Cup in 1999, with the beautiful world-class forward Mia Hamm, and the sexy defender Brandi Chastain, who, after she kicked the winning penalty shot for the U.S. win against China, joyously ripped her top off, revealing bare skin and her black sports bra. We were truly rooting for the girls, as they were not just cute, but talented. Interest in men's and women's soccer in America has waned since then.


The Beckham Hype


David Beckham himself is partly a hype-job. He was recently removed as the captain for the British national team, and he sat mostly on the bench for his last team, Real Madrid. He's kind of like the equivalent of tennis star Anna Kournikova, a pretty boy, with a pretty wife, Posh Spice, former member of the pop singing group Spice Girls, with great advertising value but questionable soccer skills.

Once a Barbarian?


Likewise, no matter what we do, no matter the opportunities for peace, the Iraqis, and the Palestinians I might add, may never opt for peace, and may forever opt for barbarism. I'm sorry to have to agree with Al, but I need to face reality. This is not to say that all Muslims are barbaric. After all, Egypt made peace with Israel, and Jordan has been civilized, and many other Muslim countries too, like Dubai, and Lebanon for the most part. But there are pockets of barbarism that persist—namely Iraq, and Palestine, among others. I wish this were not true.

Make my Life; Prove me Wrong


At the moment, though, I remain pessimistic. This does not negate my judgment that going into Iraq was a good thing. Getting rid of the dangerous tyrant Saddam Hussein was a plus for the world, regardless of the Iraqis squandering this opportunity. All I can say is, prove me wrong Palestine. Prove me wrong, Iraq. I'd love for you to do it.

A Black Bra, Bend It for a While, then the Real Stuff


As for soccer, forget it, I'm watching the Super Bowl, unless you bring me another Hamm, Chastain and friends club. I'll watch Beckham once or twice, and then turn to one of the other real sports.

Send Beckham to Iraq


Hey, I got it! Iraqi's love soccer. Send Beckham to Iraq with his gorgeous wife, and maybe that will get the Iraqis thinking about something other than violence. Then, maybe Americans would start to watch soccer too!

Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)


Click here to get a button link to this blog:


Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site!


Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Regular Technorati Tags for this blog: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


5 comments:

  1. What a great analogy! I too believe soccer is a second tier sport but unlike Iraq, I think soccer has some good potential in the next few years. Becks can't do it alone and the US will need to bring in bigger stars with him. With most everything, fanaticism starts with the kids and if enough kids start liking soccer now, who knows? I have to say that 2007 has proven to be a year where Rock and Paz are in agreement a lot...But what's most interesting is how your stance on Iraq has changed since I first found your blog! That being said, I have to argue this point of yours:

    "He's kind of like the equivalent of tennis star Anna Kournikova, a pretty boy....with great advertising value but questionable soccer skills."

    His skills are far from questionable and he's the SOLE reason England beat Ecuador in the World Cup last year (I watched almost every game- call me a junkie!) As with every athelete in their 30's with a few injuries, he's lost a step or two, but if I'm not mistaken, he had a huge role in Manchester United's championships and he RESIGNED as captain of the English national team after 6 years or so- as opposed to being "removed". The "hype" is in his marketablility, not his skills. If Pele wanted to come and play for LA, who would tell him no? Anna Kournikova hasn't won a thing.

    I ALMOST agreed that sending Becks to Iraq might do some good. Soccer has been known to change the political landscape in coutries all over the world. But then some religious, anti-Western zealot would kidnap him and kill him and that would be the end of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I have to be honest here since we are in the “Truth” zone, what I know about soccer would not fill a peanut shell. I did watch it during the Olympias, as I did Hockey about a decade or so ago. I was excited at the time but alas the excitement passed. I think we are teaching soccer to our kids now and that is where love for sport starts. I would be willing to do almost anything to make the Iraqis like us so maybe you have a good idea.

    I put up a post an hour or so ago that I would be honored if you dropped by an left a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a point of clarification and fact checking the TV ratings for the World Cup Final in 2006 were higher in the U.S than the average for the World Series this fall.

    Does it mean that soccer will ever become the number one sport in America - no. But I do believe that it can become a recognizable professional sport in the U.S.

    Will Beckham be the difference? No again, but while all the detractors are running around saying it won't make ANY difference are the same people that took up to an hour on their talk shows (Dan Patrick et al) talking about Beckham and MLS one and two days before an NFL play-off weekend... so he already has made a difference in profile.

    As a long time soccer supporter in North America I'm under no illusion that soccer will ever replace the big three in America and I've never understood why it has too. Many, many sports survive at a professional level in North America outside of baseball, football, and basketball. It's all a question of settling at a level that makes sense for your fans and your sport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An ageing, failing British footballer signing to an American team for 250 million dollars on a 5 year contract? Way to go David. Good luck to him.

    But I still can't stand Victoria Beckham, and I even liked the Spice Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll comment more in detail tomorrow, but for now I'll say thanks for the comments. You soccer guys have got me on a few points I see. Good for you.

    I know the young people do like the game.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete