Thursday, January 4, 2007

Put Your Thinking Caps On


Democratic Control of Congress

Let's Decrease the Influence of Lobbyists by Fundraisers with Lobbyists


Well, today is the day. Democrats take power in congress. Hold on to your wallets, and pray for the military.

I don't mind Nancy Pelosi's emphasis on ethics for her first 100-hour push. I think it's okay to aspire to clean house, so to speak, and get rid of some corruption if that is possible. I think it's kind of odd, though, that at the same time she is planning to reduce the power of lobbyists with new restrictions (no private jets and junkets), she has already scheduled events for lobbyists that include top-notch entertainers.

Ethics Overhaul Tops the Agenda in New Congress - New York Times:

And the Democratic Party's fund-raising machine, revved up by the advantages of being in the majority, continued apace this week with individual members inviting lobbyists and other contributors to a host of events.

On Thursday night, Mrs. Pelosi is having a $1,000-a-head fund-raiser with performances by Tony Bennett, Carole King, Wyclef Jean and the surviving members of the Grateful Dead. "Pelosi is a huge Dead fan," her spokeswoman said.

Business as usual, you might say.

Cindy is Protesting—the Democrats!


Meanwhile, antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan and others interrupted a Democratic news conference with chants of “Troops home now; de-escalate, investigate." I like that. A new cheer. It's better than "No war for oil." It's catchier. I'd like Ms. Sheehan to follow her own wise advice. She should go home now; de-escalate the tone of her rhetoric; and investigate her own sanity.

Fresh Eyes can Focus on a New Vision

Power of the Blogosphere

Despite the fact that I don't trust Pelosi nor the Democrats, I'm happy that, because of them, our government and people are taking a new look at some important issues, like corruption, Iraq, government spending, and immigration. Now that we are focused, it is a good idea to carefully formulate our vision for these issues, whatever that vision may be. The politicians are listening now. As you know, the political world is paying close attention to the blogosphere these days, so what we say matters, now more than ever. So do speak up.

For example, we won't change corruption in Washington forever, we know that. But we, both the liberal and conservative bloggers, can help "throw the bums out" when we do catch a corruptor, and we'll do it again if this crop disappoints us.

Let's be real careful, too, whom we elect as our next president. Put your thinking caps on.


Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)


Click here to get a button link to this blog:


Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site!


Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post: , , , , , , , , ,

Regular Technorati Tags for this blog: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


8 comments:

  1. It's about to get interesting. I have a feeling the Dems are going to be on their best behavior considering how closely the public is watching what they do. Just out of curiosity, who would you put in the driver's seat for the Republican candidate for pres and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see it now, "Let's ban lobbyists from the minority party, as long as that party is the Republicans" "Stop corruption of congress members, as long as they are Republicans" The phrase "put your money where your mouth is" comes to mind. I saw the tape of Cindy chanting at the Dems, this could get interesting. Has she outlived her usefulness with the Dems? Will they throw her to the wolves now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. paz, nice to hear from you. I feel guilty because I never got to responding on your last longer comment. I'll try to do better in 07.

    You're right, it will be interesting. We'll see how the Dems do.

    I see McCain as the leader now, despite his shortcomings with conservatives. He's just the IT guy now. Juliani too, but he has even more problems with conservatives. Mitt Romney is having trouble because of flip-flops, as with gay rights.

    I'm not excited by anyone.

    The Democratic race will be more interesting, unless the Repubs come up with a surprise candidate.

    Take care paz, Happy New Year.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sgt Dub, thanks.

    You're right. Cindy is a hardline progressive and won't help the Dems win any election, but they owe her for helping bring the Repubs down, at least that's how she sees it.

    It's funny how everyone says protests like hers are a sign of democracy, when in reality they yell so loud and so long that only one side can be heard. That seems like fascism to me, not democracy.

    Interesting.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read it yet rock, back lated.....

    If you do not know, I had a problem with my Blog today. I have opened a new blog. I have made a new post on the new site, a link is provided on old site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie, sorry to hear you've had problems. Are you on Beta Blogger? I can't upload pictures with Beta. I have to use my old sites, which are still on the old Blogger. I upload the pictures and then copy the code to put into my Beta Blogger site. I'm sure there's another workaround, but this is how I do it.

    Hope this helps. I'm kind of a good source for some blog problems if you ever have a question--I've gone through them all and know many of the tricks.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rock,
    I have been bata for some time with no problems. Last nigh I was working on today’s post and it stopped uploading pictures. Bee logged into her computer and could not upload while her site worked great.
    The new sit is working good, SargeCharlie 2, I will stay with it until I can correct the old site.

    I just love Nancy’s smile when she accepted the gavel, in partnership not partisanship .......sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what? When Schwarzenegger leaves his office, he will be the most spending governor in the history of California.

    The free health care even include illegal immigrants who already committed a crime by coming into this country. Now he will give free health care to the kids. What our neighbors, Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, are going to think about us? What will those in Mexico going to think about us? Just before we know, there are going to be billions of illegal immigrants in the U.S.

    They will definately going to pass amnesity bill in the Congress this year, give illegals more rights, and attract more illegals. I want to know what is going happen 20 years from now. Will we be regretful for what our Congress will have done?

    ReplyDelete