Thursday, January 18, 2007

Feet of Clay


Muhammad
Ali





The Greatest


Muhammad Ali turned 65 this week, and I've been watching his fights on the specials about him. At certain times in his career I think he was the greatest heavyweight boxer in history. At those times he combined speed, power, footwork, agility, endurance, heart, and the ability to take a punch better than anyone. He defeated boxers who were considered invincible, like Sonny Liston and George Foreman. He gave some of the best matches ever, like The Rumble in the Jungle against George Foreman, and the The Thrilla in Manila against Joe Frazier.

Despite being relatively uneducated, he gave us wonderful extemporaneous poetry, was highly entertaining, and also was the best self-promoter in boxing history.
In many ways, he really was The Greatest.






Controversy


He was also controversial. He converted the day after he defeated Sonny Liston to a branch of Islam that hated whites, the Nation of Islam. (He later changed to Sunni Islam, in 1975.) For religious reasons, he refused induction into the U.S. Army during Vietnam, and was convicted of draft evasion until the Supreme Court overturned the conviction. He lost almost four years of his prime boxing years due to his choice not to serve.

Sorting Out My Feelings for the Man


I'm trying to make sense of my feelings about Muhammad Ali. I have to say that I will understand why many Americans might resent him for refusing to serve in Vietnam. I also have some negative feelings about his joining such a white-hating sect of Islam. On the other hand, I am aware that he grew up in Louisville, Kentucky at a time when segregation was full-blown. Cassius Clay, his name until he converted to Islam, was keenly aware of racial prejudice as a youth. There were black and white drinking fountains and the whole constellation of this kind of injustice. The Civil Rights Movement was in high gear as he entered manhood.

So, I am led to let slide some of the hurtful comments Muhammad made about America after he converted, and during the time he was refusing induction. Do I look upon him as a hero? I guess I do. I believe he sincerely stood up for what he believed in and sacrificed his career for it, and I believe he was fighting racism in his own way.

I am not thrilled he chose Islam as his avenue of redemption, especially a white-hating sect. Again, though, given what he saw and experienced as a youth, I can understand it. I was happy that he denounced what happened on 9/11, and that he said the people who did this were not practicing true Islam. He continues to be a devout Muslim, and he certainly does not seem to have hatred in his heart.


My Assessment of Muhammad Ali


Though Muhammad to me will always be a hero, and I'll watch his rebroadcast fights forever, I continue to have some doubts about him. I guess he's allowed to have feet of Clay, though, forgive the pun.

I think it's ironic that he considers Islam a religion of peace, despite the thousands of terrorist attacks in the name of Islam, and even the preaching of hatred towards whites of the sect he chose. I also think it's ironic that he refused induction into the army because of religious reasons, practicing as a Muslim, when there are so many Islamic soldiers warring in the world that it will make your head spin.

I want to make it clear that I completely understand those Americans who feel negatively about Muhammad Ali. At one time Muhammad was a very unpopular guy indeed.

Still, I personally choose to overlook all the negative doubts I have, and take the man for what he appears to be in his heart. He appears genuine to me. However misguided he might be in certain aspects of his life, I believe he stands as a towering figure of courage, decency, and heroic accomplishment. I think overall he has been a force for good in the world, and he remains one of the heroes I salute in this world.

God bless you Muhammad. Happy birthday.


Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)


Click here to get a button link to this blog:


Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site!


Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post: , , , , , , , , , ,

Regular Technorati Tags for this blog: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


3 comments:

  1. I must admit, I never liked the champ, and no doubt, he is the champ. I was never one to bet on sports but I always bet against Muhammad Ali, I am sure it is because I wanted him to lose. Oh well we get wiser with age, happy birthday champ..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. General Jay wrote a good Blog today, check it out, should be an op-ed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarge Charlie. One of the things I like about you is your disarming honesty. Thanks for your comments, and I will check out General Jay's site.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete