Monday, April 9, 2007

An Old IgnorImus



Inexcusable.




Foot In Mouth Disease


Metromix. Jackson, protesters blast Imus comments: "On his Wednesday show, 'Imus in the Morning,' the host referred to members of the Rutgers team as 'nappy-headed hos.'"
At the same time radio provocateur Don Imus was appearing on Rev. Al Sharpton's show to discuss his controversial comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team, protesters gathered outside NBC Tower in Chicago calling for his ouster.

Led by the Rev. Jesse Jackson and other members of his Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, about 50 protesters held signs reading "no apologies, no forgiveness" and chanted, "Imus must go" while walking on the sidewalk outside the high-rise building on Columbus Drive.

Nasty Fellow


I do listen to Imus sometimes. I've never liked the man, though. Imus is always mean-spirited, and, of course, he is mostly liberal, which makes him doubly unlikable to me.

He is almost as vicious sometimes as Keith Olberman.






Mel, Michael, and Don


Still, most of the time I stick up for people who make the mistake of putting their foot in their mouth—ala Mel Gibson. (Gibson's gaffe.) As you may remember, though, I did not defend "Kramer" (Michael Richards), because of the sniveling, racist way he apologized. And now, I cannot stand up for Don Imus. My reason is that his comment was so over the top that it is unforgivable. Yes, it makes it easier for me to condemn him since I don't like the man anyway. Yet, I believe I'd denounce anyone who would make such an insensitive remark.

Even Senility Would not Justify It


There is no excuse for the remark, period. The man is getting old and so might not be in charge of his faculties so much anymore—he comes off as a crotchety old curmudgeon anyway. Yet, still, and again, this cannot be an excuse. If he can't control his mouth to this gross extent, he doesn't deserve to be on the air.

Me and Jesse


So, for the first time in my recent life, I find myself in agreement with Jesse Jackson. Imus must go. I don't want anyone on the air who can say such hurtful things, even on a bad day.

Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)


Click here to get a button link to this blog:


Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site!


Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post:
, , , , , ,

Regular Technorati Tags for this blog: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


7 comments:

  1. Could it be that you, me AND Jesse agree on something all at the same time? What a day. Honestly, I was SHOCKED when I heard what he said, and that's tough to do. I feel that everyone has a right to say what they want, when they want, but people in the public eye (and ear)- ESPECIALLY in the media have a responsibility to show some decorum and that was way below the belt. A two week suspension is "nice" but it doesn't send the message that needs to be sent. Imus will be back of course, considering his huge fanbase, but I'm sure he'll watch his mouth next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. paz, all hail the people! You, me and Jesse, all right, sounds good!

    Thanks, paz.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell you what Imus believes in, his monotone voice and half asleep-half dead appearance has never held me for more than a few minutes at any one time. I am amazed that people like Rosie can say whatever they want and nobody protests them to this type of hype. Send him out to pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sgt Dub, you are right to point out the hypocrisy. I think Rosie is on her way out, because people are starting to complain. I do understand how folks can get upset over the double standard. Why can rappers and black comics get away with saying things like this, but not white guys? Still, two wrongs don't make a right. I think common sense would tell a person that they just don't make these kinds of comments about young girls who have feelings. He might have gotten the "ho" part of his remark from rappers--so this is understandable to some degree. "Nappy headed" though is clearly a racial comment. Connected with "hos" it becomes very nasty.

    There have been a long list of white guys who've gotten canned for similar kinds of remarks, from Jimmy the Greek to Rush Limbaugh. Should we be more forceful about the right of free speech? Maybe. On the other hand, when you speak in the world of politics, even if you're trying to be funny, you do need to know that your words have an effect.

    If Imus would not have had a history of saying nasty things, about everybody, it might have turned out differently. It appears, though, that the comments do come from a mean person--despite his good works and charities. The man has a history of saying cruel things. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

    Thanks, Sgt., for your comments.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron, you are totally right. However, "nappy," even though accurate, is used in a derogatory way in Imus' statement. It is not meant to be an "accurate" description. The fact of the matter is that most of the African-American girls on this team do not have "nappy" hair, but have straightened hair--so it is not even accurate. The reason he used the term was racial, not for accuracy purposes.

    Plus, Imus is often mean-spirited, and this was another mean-spirited comment.

    If a good-natured comedian, white or black, had used the term, it might not have caused such a stir.

    Still, you are right. This issue is being addressed, however, all over the air waves. I am basically alone, as a conservative, condeming Imus. Most of my conservative colleagues, as Hannity and so on, fear censorship.

    I don't fear censorship. No one will stop Imus from speaking--but sponsors have a right not to pay him for speaking. And the public has the right to complain to sponsors. Censorship would be when the government stops him from speaking. The marketplace, though, does have the right to say what it will or will not tolerate. The market does not like mean people. It's not a racial thing on this issue--it's a matter of good spirit and good heart.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  6. An old IngorImus, only you could make that play on words. Good Morning Mr Rock, Don Imus, such a pant load. I did like and listen to Imus in his younger days, for the last few years he has become offensive and I tuned him out. Your description, “he comes off as a crotchety old curmudgeon anyway.” sums it up for me. But there is a pesky old thing called the Constitution that gives him the right to speak as he speaks, it is not our choice. The controlling factor is pure and simple economics, advertiser says no money, you are out of here.

    As far as the Jacksons and Sharptons of the world, self appointed leaders of Black America, I have to also tune them out. It is time for one America, enough of this crap, what ever happened to “One Nation Under God” oh I forgot, we took God away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sgt Charlie, great comments as usual. You're right about the advertising, that's what did him in. I second your opinion of Jackson and Sharpton generally. I keep hoping that one day they will realize they can be true heroes by speaking the truth to their followers. Jackson used to encourage self-reliance. We can hope.

    Take care Sarge.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete