Monday, April 16, 2007

The African-American Experience and Imus



Alex Haley


Roots






Our American Cultural Reality


The country has been talking non-stop about the Imus event (see last post An Old IgnorImus). It is such a pivotal phenomenon in America at this time that it deserves more contemplation. I just saw Roots, the 1977 American television award-winning miniseries. Juxtaposing the Imus story and Roots gives much food for thought.

The question is, what has happened to Black culture over time—from its African roots, to the horrible time of slavery, and Reconstruction, to the Civil Rights movement, and on up to the Imus story?

I don't propose to write a detailed thesis here. I just want to express a few thoughts on the hopes and dreams of the good Black people in this country, as I understand from being an outsider looking in.


Roots


I'm sure most of you have already seen the record-breaking mini-series, Roots. I was out of the country when the series showed in the U.S. originally, and so for all my life I've never seen it. I finally got to view this great television series on DirectTV the last few nights. I watched the whole thing. I was richly rewarded.

I went into it skeptical, since it had such great hype. I was afraid it would be politically correct and another liberal propaganda piece. It wasn't. It is a beautiful work of art and history that brings wonderful and noble characters to life.



It humanizes slavery, and fleshes out the slave traders, owners, and the slaves.


Some Critiques of Roots


click to show/hide the rest of the post


Roots does idealize the slaves, but you know what—I have entered the homes of African-American foster parents for some years (when I was a social worker), and I can definitely say that I experienced the same kind of quiet dignity that Roots portrays. Nothing in Roots reads untrue for me.

Anti-White?

One thing I disliked about Roots was the total anti-White sentiment that was expressed by most of the slaves. Yet, who am I kidding—what else would a slave feel but hatred and contempt for the slave owners who denied him/her their freedom, slept with their women, physically and emotionally abused them, and robbed them of money, property and their very names? It's totally understandable. Besides, there were plenty of good white characters in the series, like Old George and his wife.

Islam

I wasn't crazy either about Kunta Kinte being a Muslim. Of course I feel this way because of 9/11 and terrorist reasons, which were not a factor at the time of the making of Roots. So, I'll give it a pass on this one.

Afro-Centrism

One main objection I have to the series is the insistence on Afro-centrism. I guess you might say I disagree with Alex Haley's main premise—that in order to be free, you must know your roots. I think you are free in America as an American. You don't need to be hyphenated to be a full human being. If you celebrate your roots, that's fine—but not to the extent that you separate yourself, so that you are not a part of the whole, as a full member of America.

click to hide most of this post


Lessons of Roots

Family

What I think is lost in modern African-American society is the sense of complete family that is present in Roots. Despite the slave traders and owners, the characters in Roots fought hard to keep the whole family together, including the presence of a strong father. Present-day African American families often are missing a father, and/or have parents who are not married.

Respect for Women

Plus, present in Roots is respect for women. This is absent in many hip-hop records and rap music. Imus was supposedly trying to be cool and "in" with his Black brothers by mentioning "hos" in the comments that got him fired. It seems it's not okay for a White guy to say this, but it is okay for a Black guy.

Chicken George

The wonderful character Chicken George, played brilliantly by Ben Vereen, was, like all the central Roots characters, a living human being. He rose from slavery to become a wealthy landowner and form a Tenessee town of former slaves. He used his love of cockfighting to become the expert at it. He earned enough to buy his freedom and escape the misery of servitude, and then rescue his whole family from the evil of racist Whites. He is truly an example of the American Dream, in its richest sense.

Learning from Roots and Imus


This is a good time for Blacks and Whites to contemplate what is and is not acceptable in music and public discourse. I think it is important, as Alex Haley knew, to get back to the best parts of our roots, which for both Whites and Blacks means returning to the importance of intact families, a quiet dignity, and respect for strong, responsible men and persevering, dignified women. God bless Chicken George, his family, and their descendents.

Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)


Click here to get a button link to this blog:


Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site!


Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post: , , , , , , , , , ,

Regular Technorati Tags for this blog: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


2 comments:

  1. I love to comment on your site Mr Rock, but sometimes you leave nothing to add, this is a great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarge Charlie, thank you so much. This is one of the nicest comments I've ever received.

    God bless.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete