Monday, February 26, 2007

Hollywood's Night



Oscar




Not a Big Fan


I'm a big fan of movies, but not of present-day Hollywood. Since the present crop of stars are so shallow, in my opinion, I am not overly eager to watch their annual self-worship.

One thing I dislike is the hypocrisy. These guys, with their air-conditioned limousines, energy-guzzling mansions, gas-powered boats, private jets, and other toys for the rich deliver more CO2 into the atmosphere than a thousand coal plants, yet they are so sanctimonious about the environment.

Fact: A Gulfstream III private jet releases 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide an hour.


See Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe - USATODAY.com:
Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

They bash capitalism, which provides them their living. They are anti-business, while at the same time stuffing cash in their pockets from the companies paying for commercials they star in. They are anti-war, any war, just or not, though it's these wars that ensure them their freedom. Many of them are even anti-American, with a snobbism about the country that elevated them to fame and fortune.


It Wasn't Too Bad


The Oscars last night did not inflame me as much as they sometimes can. I am always aware of watching them with two personas. One persona is Rock the everyday guy, who likes to just relax and have a good time with them. The other persona is Rock the concerned citizen, who is focused on the usual harm that Hollywood does to our society. I was able to relax most of this Oscar presentation and not get overly concerned. One reason might be that I TIVO the thing now instead of listening to it raw. So, I skip over the endless Thank You's and most of the commercials. I admit that maybe I missed some inflammatory remarks.

All Praise Be to Gore Almighty


The segment that did bother me was the hero worship of the inconveniently truthy Al Gore.

click to show/hide the rest of the post


I know that some of my Republican friends are taken in by the global warming hysteria too, so I find myself quite alone sometimes in calling for calm and perspective on the subject. Nonetheless, every week now, more and more reputable scientists are saying that we don't yet know if global warming is a serious problem or not, and we certainly aren't sure that it is manmade. Yet, for leftists, the thing has taken on the air of a religion, much like liberalism in general.

Al Gore is God now. They might as well just open up the heavens and take him up. I'm convinced that if he ran for president this time, he'd have a real chance.

Most of the Time, They Shut Up and Sang


Anyway, Hollywood seemed to be somewhat muted on the political front this Oscars, thank goodness. Ellen DeGeneris only made one dumb liberal remark, the usual leftist slur that Al Gore really won the election, laugh laugh. Most of the time, though, she and the actors, actresses, singers and dancers shut up and sang. Of course, there were the usual liberal choices for awards, like Gore's flick and Melissa Etheridge's song for it, I Need to Wake Up. I do agree that she needs to wake up, as do all her liberal friends. If she wants to go green, then let her carpool to the next Oscars.

Good Day for Minorities


I'm happy that it was a good day for African Americans and other minorities, except for Eddie Murphy. Forest Whitaker won best actor for his charismatic performance as Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. Jennifer Hudson, a former American Idol contestant, scored the best supporting actress award for her debut performance in the musical Dreamgirls. Murphy was the favorite in the Best Supporting Actor category, but Alan Arkin got the nod. Some say it was because of Murphy's recent release of the low-brow Norbit that hurt his chances.

click to hide most of this post


It Was a Bit Boring, and I Know What Could Rev It Up


DeGeneres, I think, did a good job, but the show was a bit boring. They ought to ban people reading from lists. Thank goodness for TIVO.

I repeat, again, and again, just think what a patriotic Hollywood could accomplish for themselves, let alone for America. Their ratings would soar. They'd have the country cheering and tuning in, I believe, if they were gung ho behind the troops, praising the President, and showing respect for America. I'd watch that show without my TIVO.


Rock

(*Wikipedia is always my source unless indicated.)


Click here to get a button link to this blog:


Join me in the war on error, in the fight for truth, justice, and the American way! Support this site!


Subscribe to my feed
                                          

Join or Surf Rock's Political Blog Ring. Both Liberals and Conservatives are Welcome.


Technorati Tags for this post: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Regular Technorati Tags for this blog: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


4 comments:

  1. Man, I can't watch these awards shows- any of 'em. What used to be an exciting acknowledgement of talent and intrigue during my childhood has turned into rewarding mediocrity. I haven't seen most of the movies nominated and for the most part, I don't care to. Do I sound like an old man already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. paz, I know what you mean. I am acutely aware that I spend much of my time on this blog complaining about things that can be looked at in two ways. I could just relax and let the Hollywood stars be who they are. That's their right. Being polite has its charm. On the other hand, words do matter, and also where people stand on things. So, I'll just have to accept myself being a curmudgeon.

    I'm a little different from you in one way. I do like a lot of Hollywood's movies these days. Not that they measure up to the golden age of Hollywood. But I don't mind avante guarde stuff.

    I just don't like the mixing of movies and politics. Art is different, I think. Art is always subversive. Movies are supposed to be entertainment.

    Oh well, just a lone voice crying in the wilderness.

    Have a good week.

    Rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe the only part of the Oscars I got to see was when Al Gore got up there. Talk about timing. I took that as the cue that it would all be that way and of course, with a war to run, I didn't get any more of it. Sorry I've been absent lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stopping in to support DeGeneres; I tuned in, watched her, and left with a smile. Therefore, the Oscars were great for me~

    ReplyDelete